What is WorkinEnglish TOOLS

WorkinEnglish is an Italian-based language training company founded by professional language trainers who share an ideal way of passing their experience on to learners. What makes us different from the others is our know-how, our enthusiasm and our hands-on experience.

Monthly we publish the WorkinEnglish TOOLS magazine, which is sent to our client-companies as well as to those who have signed up to it through our website www.workinenglish.it.

To allow greater and easier access to the material we put together, we set up this blog. We hope you enjoy!

sabato 22 giugno 2013

Grammar - Inversion


Inversion is used to give emphasis or to be rhetorical in more formal situations, in political speeches, on the news, and also in literature. Some native speakers may also use them occasionally in day-to-day conversation. The structure of these phrases is similar to interrogative sentences even though they are not questions but statements. Inversion takes place after certain expressions if these expressions begin the sentence. Take a look at these examples:

Not only.....but also
Not only did we not get the pay rise we were promised, but we also had our luncheon vouchers taken off us.

At no time
At no time did I say I would accept to work late

No sooner.....than
This is used to refer to an event that quickly follows another. It is usually used with the past perfect, but sometimes with the simple past
No sooner had I reached the door than I realised it was locked
or
No sooner did I reach the door than I realised it was locked.

Not until
Not until January will I have a holiday.

Only after
This is usually used with the simple past.

Only after the film started did I realise that I'd seen it before.








Nessun commento:

Posta un commento