What is WorkinEnglish TOOLS

WorkinEnglish is an Italian-based language training company founded by professional language trainers who share an ideal way of passing their experience on to learners. What makes us different from the others is our know-how, our enthusiasm and our hands-on experience.

Monthly we publish the WorkinEnglish TOOLS magazine, which is sent to our client-companies as well as to those who have signed up to it through our website www.workinenglish.it.

To allow greater and easier access to the material we put together, we set up this blog. We hope you enjoy!

sabato 8 giugno 2013

How to .... Open meetings effectively

Whether you are holding a meeting or attending a meeting, it is important that you understand key English phrases and expressions related to meetings. Starting off effectively and strongly with set the way for a smooth running meeting. Here are some useful expressions which will help you open a meeting with success.


Opening a Meeting

Small Talk

Whether you are holding the meeting or attending the meeting it is polite to make small talk while you wait for the meeting to start. Small talk means you should discuss things unrelated to the meeting, such as weather, family, or weekend plans. You must avoid controversial or sensitive topics such as politics or religion.

Welcome

Once everyone has arrived, the chairperson, or whoever is in charge of the meeting should formally welcome everyone to the meeting and thank the attendees for coming.
  • “Well, since everyone is here, we should get started.”
  • “Hello, everyone. Thank you for coming today.”
  • “I think we'll begin now. First I'd like to welcome you all.”
  • “Thank you all for coming at such short notice.”
  • “I really appreciate you all for attending today.”
  • “We have a lot to cover today, so we really should begin.”
Introductions

If anyone at the meeting is new to the group, or if there is a guest speaker, this is the time when introductions should be made. The person in charge of the meeting can introduce the new person, or ask the person to introduce him or herself.
  • “I'd like to take a moment to introduce our new tour coordinator.”
  • “I know most of you, but there are a few unfamiliar faces.”
  • “Stella, would you like to stand up and introduce yourself?”
  • “Hi everyone. I'm Judy Strauss. I'll be acting as Amanda's assistant while Nancy is away on maternity leave.”
  • On behalf of Mr Samuel, may I welcome you to Alderson Ltd. My name is Tom Harle and I’m responsible for …
  • “Let me introduce myself. I am ……”
  • “Before we begin, let me tell you something about myself. “
  • “Morning everyone. Thanks for coming. My name is James and I’m in charge of ..”
  • “For those who don’t know me, my name is Samantha Cooke and I’m the ….”

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento