What is WorkinEnglish TOOLS

WorkinEnglish is an Italian-based language training company founded by professional language trainers who share an ideal way of passing their experience on to learners. What makes us different from the others is our know-how, our enthusiasm and our hands-on experience.

Monthly we publish the WorkinEnglish TOOLS magazine, which is sent to our client-companies as well as to those who have signed up to it through our website www.workinenglish.it.

To allow greater and easier access to the material we put together, we set up this blog. We hope you enjoy!

venerdì 14 giugno 2013

How to .. be polite when disagreeing

Strong disagreement & softening   


Strong disagreement is relatively rare in English. We prefer the phrases of strong disagreement to be preceded by various ‘softeners’  in  order  to   sound  less   threatening. 
Although some expressions seem to suggest that you agree to a large extent, it usually means the contrary.
Examples of softeners:

I don’t completely agree with you on that.
I’m   not  totally  convinced  by your  argument.
I really must take issue with you here.
I can see your point of view, but surely ..
I can’t say that I share your view
You have a point there, but …
I can’t help feeling that ….
I take your point, Mr …, but have you considered…?

If you need to stop an argument as there seems to be no way to reach an agreement on the subject, two convenient  expressions are:

We’ll have to agree to disagree  or
We’ll have to agree to differ

Strong disagreeement expressions to avoid

The following expressions are to be   avoided when speaking with another person, especially when they are not close friends (except of course if the  intention is exactly to offend..)

I don’t agree at all
I totally/completely/wholly/utterly/disagree with you
You’re completely mistaken!
I disagree entirely
Under no circumstances could I agree to that.
Oh, that’s ridiculous!
You must be joking!
What you are saying is just not  feasible. You must be joking!
Nonsense! Rubbish!
There’s no evidence for that.
I don’t believe that at all
You don’t know what you are     talking about.
You’re completely wrong about that




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento