What is WorkinEnglish TOOLS

WorkinEnglish is an Italian-based language training company founded by professional language trainers who share an ideal way of passing their experience on to learners. What makes us different from the others is our know-how, our enthusiasm and our hands-on experience.

Monthly we publish the WorkinEnglish TOOLS magazine, which is sent to our client-companies as well as to those who have signed up to it through our website www.workinenglish.it.

To allow greater and easier access to the material we put together, we set up this blog. We hope you enjoy!

sabato 13 luglio 2013

How to…. make a complaint

Have the airline company lost your suitcase? Did the taxi-driver charge you through the nose for a taxi ride? Many times you find yourself in a situation where you need to make a complaint but where your limited knowledge of the language is holding you back.
There are a number of formulas used when complaining in English. It's important to remember that a direct complaint or criticism in English can sound rude or aggressive. Therefore it's best to mention a problem in an indirect manner. Here are some of the most common expressions to introduce your complaint politely:
·         I'm sorry to have to say this but...
·         I'm sorry to bother you, but...
·         Maybe you forgot to...
·         I think you might have forgotten to...
·         Excuse me if I'm out of line, but...
·         There may have been a misunderstanding about...
·         Don't get me wrong, but I think we should...
·         I understand it's not your fault, but …
·         Can you help me with this?
·         Excuse me, but I understood that ...

Formula
Example Finish
I'm sorry to have to say this but
I think we need to take another approach.
I'm sorry to bother you, but
I think you need to refine this layout.
Maybe you forgot to
include his name and number.
I think you might have forgotten to
finish the report on time.
Excuse me if I'm out of line, but
your work has not been adequate lately.
There may have been a misunderstanding about
what I expected from you.
Don't get me wrong, but I think we should
concentrate on the Smith account for the moment.
I understand it's not your fault, but
the airline promised they would deliver my baggage yesterday
Can you help me with this?
Can you help me with this? The trade fair posters came back from the agency with some typing errors.
Excuse me, but I understood that ...
the taxi ride to the airport was only 25 dollars
                       



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento